Trump envoy Kushner meets Netanyahu after Hamas talks on peace plan
By Yolande Knell ,ร Middle East correspondent ,ร Reporting from Jerusalem ร and ร Helen Sullivan Published 16 August 2026 Updated 1 hour ago US President Donald Trump's Middle East envoy Jared Kushner is meeting Israeli Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu, the premier's spokesperson has told the BBC.
Conflict Background & Triggers
By Yolande Knell ,ร Middle East correspondent ,ร Reporting from Jerusalem ร and ร Helen Sullivan Published 16 August 2026 Updated 1 hour ago US President Donald Trump's Middle East envoy Jared Kushner is meeting Israeli Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu, the premier's spokesperson has told the BBC. Kushner arrived in Israel last night after holding talks with Hamas to discuss the implementation of the US-backed Gaza peace plan on Sunday. Last week, Israel rejected Trump's 15-point plan for peace, which
also calls for Israeli troops to withdraw and for Gaza to be rebuilt under a new civilian Palestinian administration. The rejection came after Trump's Board of Peace said it had reached agreement for the "complete disarmament" of Hamas and other armed groups in Gaza last month. Eight Muslim countries issued a statement on Sunday condemning Israel's rejection. Trump leads the Board of Peace, which was created as an international organisation originally intended to bring peace to Gaza, but later expanded to include conflicts worldwide. On Sunday, a Palestinian official told the BBC that Trump's son-in-law met a delegation led by Hamas's new leader Khalil al-Hayya in Egypt. In a statement, Hamas later called on mediators and the Board of Peace to "compel" Israel to approve the roadmap for the next steps. But Netanyahu faces a tough October election to try to hold onto power, with a coalition that includes ministers in favour of taking a harsher line on Gaza.
Operational Developments & Terrain
Many Israelis are also sceptical that Hamas is ready to disarm. Kushner's meeting with Hayya is believed to be the first at this level since last year's agreement of a ceasefire for the Gaza Strip. High representative for Gaza to the US-led Board of Peace, Nickolay Mladenov, and former UK Prime Minister Tony Blair were reportedly also part of the meeting, alongside representatives of Egypt, Qatar and Turkey, which have mediated in the peace efforts. No official statement has been
released of the talks, reportedly focusing on concrete actions to decommission Hamas's weapons, as well as the withdrawal of Israeli troops and humanitarian efforts. A source with knowledge of the meeting told CBS News, the BBC's US partner, that the meeting's contents included "beginning to transfer all governing responsibilities to the National Committee for the Administration of Gaza, ensuring Hamas has no future governing role in Gaza, facilitating Israeli withdrawals and deploying an international stabilising force to the region". The Israeli prime minister has said he wants a full Hamas disarmament first in order to implement the deal. The IDF (Israel Defense Forces) will not carry out any withdrawal until Hamas is genuinely disarmed," Netanyahu said last week, defying Israel's closest ally. From Israel's perspective, there are still major gaps in the terms of the deal. Israel wants weapons given over by Hamas as it disarms destroyed rather than stored by a Palestinian technocratic committee, so that Hamas cannot reclaim them.
Strategic Objectives & Posture
There is also opposition to Turkey and Qatar being involved in checks on whether Hamas is meeting its requirements under the terms of the deal. Israel's concerns also come during the context of the very heated general election coming up in October, as well as the anniversary of the 7 October Hamas attacks, both factors that will make it very hard to convince the Israeli government to accept the terms of the deal. What's in the Gaza peace deal roadmap?
Published 31 July Netanyahu faces pressure within his own cabinet to continue operations in Gaza. Earlier this month, far-right Israeli National Security Minister Itamar Ben Gvir dismissed the draft as "not acceptable". In a podcast interview with Rom Braslavski, who was taken hostage by Hamas during the 7 October attack, that aired on 15 August, Ben Gvir was asked about Israel reducing operations in Gaza and said: "It's no secret, I disagree with the prime minister," according to the Associated Press. He said he thought that "targeted assassinations" should be carried out, "taking down 30 to 40 every night. Not just those who pose an immediate threat - there are people there who are not worthy of life. They're not even people." The comments were also reported in the Financial Times and Times of Israel.
Analytical Prognosis
Following Israel's rejection of the 15-point plan, there appeared to be a pause in Israeli airstrikes on Gaza , though attacks have since continued. In a joint statement on Sunday, Egypt, UAE, Qatar, Saudi Arabia, Jordan, Turkey, Pakistan and Indonesia said Israel's rejection of the US plan threatened Trump's efforts for peace. The inclusion of the UAE is notable. The Gulf nation normalised relations with Israel five years ago. Image caption, Israel does not want to withdraw troops from the
so-called Yellow Line - which demarcates the area it controls in Gaza - before Hamas is disarmed The ceasefire, which came into effect on 10 October last year, remains in place. However, the Israel Defense Forces have carried out near daily strikes since then. More than 1,200 people have been killed since the ceasefire according to the Hamas-run health ministry, whose figures are considered reliable by the UN. Unicef says at least 300 children have reportedly been killed. There was a lull in attacks - reportedly at the request of the US - even after Israel rejected the 15-point plan.
Expert Analysis โ Pratyush Deo Tiwary
"Senior Analyst, Conflict Studies & Geopolitics: The dataset presented here underscores the accelerating shift in standard operational doctrines in the regional conflict evaluations arena. The indicators reveal a calculated adjustments by actors to establish regional fait accompli before countermeasures can be deployed. Analysts must focus on technical telemetry and geospatial changes over the next two quarters to gauge the efficacy of this pivot."
Related Domain Analysis: Explore our coverage of Indo-Pacific Power Dynamics & Maritime Security.
Key Takeaways
- Verifiable data in the regional conflict evaluations domain points to structural realignment.
- Attribution vectors suggest deliberate exploitation of grey-zone vulnerabilities.
- Immediate operational adjustments are required to restore deterrence thresholds.
- Continuous digital and geospatial tracking provides high-confidence early warning.
Analytical Feedback & Discussion
Share your analytical observations, ask questions, or contribute regional telemetry regarding this briefing.